Friday 13 April 2012

Figs - How Do I Love Thee? Well, I'm Not really Sure!


Last summer I posted about a fig twig that I had purchased with the 'pie-in-the-sky' expectation of the fig harvest I would enjoy. 
Or should I say hoping to enjoy as I have never tasted a fig ripe from the tree.

That post is missing and I'm annoyed as I am sure I had a recipe on there that looked quite tasty. 
Blogger tries my patience most of the time  - they are not user friendly enough for me and I could go on about my frustration  but, move on Joy - the post is gone, get over it.


This is what it looked like when I planted it.




This is what the fruit looked like in August. 
I was so excited to see fruit!



As our summers are quite short the fruit did not reach eating maturity (disappointment and sorrow was abundant) and into the garage it went for its much needed winter sleep.
  But as most farmers (and farmers daughters) say, 'next year will be better'

In anticipation of having a more successful crop this year I brought it into the house in mid February.

I wanted it to have a longer growing season so that perhaps I would get to harvest a fig.
 I am so curious as to how a real fresh fig tastes.


I think the fruit came out before any leaves and here is a picture of one of the two figs that have appeared.




 

So now the dance begins - I haul it out on the deck every morning and haul it back inside in the evening. This in itself is not a big effort but add to the mix seven citrus trees and it becomes a big job.


I'll be really put out if it turns out that fresh figs taste like crap!



2 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh wow, you grow all those things, DANG!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Bringing them all in and out daily? I'm thinking you need a plant door {like a doggy door} with a conveyor belt for easy transport!
The only fig I have ever had was in a fig newton. Aisle 3 at my publix...want me to pick up a box for you?
Good luck!!