Monday 9 July 2012

Do as I say, Not as I Do.

Words of wisdom.
Seldom followed.

This past weekend was a cooker in the sun and heat department.

34 deg C  around 100 deg F for those of you who don't Celsius

Great weekend for boating and playing in the water and eating melon and drinking beer
(but not at the same time)

"Did you put on sun screen?"

"Yes, mom."

This question was asked and answered several times over the weekend.

When we got home late last night my shoulders and chest were too burnt and  too sensitive to the flash of the camera to show you a picture but this is similar to how my skin looks.




When I found this picture I also found this recipe - looks good doesn't it?




Red Beets  

http://aromacucina.typepad.com/aroma_cucina/2008/03/red-beets.html

Red Beets
Is there a more pain in the ass tuber? Probably not, and yet, they are still worth the trouble and the red hands and the stains on the cutting board. (And if you eat a lot of them, you pee red, which in the middle of the night, when you’ve forgotten that you’ve eaten the beets, can give you quite a scare.)  But, I digress.
Here’s a flavor match made in beet heaven.
Roast Beet, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad
2-3 fresh, smallish red beets
1 chunk of good blue cheese, firm and sharp
1 handful of walnuts
2 bowl sized portions of salad greens
Olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper
You’re making a salad, ok, so you really don’t need exact quantities here. You like a lot of blue cheese…add some more. You prefer goat to blue, go for it.
Turn the oven on to 350. Wash the beets, don’t go crazy, and just get off any obvious dirt lumps. Pierce the skin of each beet a few times and put them in the oven, directly on the rack. Roast until soft (not falling apart soft, just resilient soft). When they are cool enough to handle, peel the beets, the skins will just come off without a lot of struggle.  Slice into ¼” thick slices, then cube.  Place the cubes in a bowl with 2T olive oil and a dash of vinegar. Coat the beet cubes and let stand at room temperature until you are ready to serve the salad.
The walnuts. Here you have some more options. You can use half walnuts, or roughly chop the walnuts and serve them like that. You could also melt a small amount of butter to a pan, melt it, add some sugar and then caramelize the walnuts, coating them in the melted sugar and butter.
Crumble the blue cheese.  Make a simple vinaigrette dressing: 4 parts olive oil, 1 part good red vinegar and a little bit of mustard. Some people like a little salt and pepper added to the vinaigrette.
Beet_bluecheese_walnut_saladThrow the salad into a bowl and add the dressing, toss well and divide the salad into two serving bowls. Add the beet cubes, cheese and walnuts on top of the bowls and serve. The reason that you need to serve this in individual bowls instead of family style is that you just know your dining partner is going to snitch all the walnuts, or the beets, and this eliminates any bickering at the table. See, I think of everything.







Anyway enough about beets. 
 I was also going to post a picture of fried bacon which my skin also might  resemble but I can't eat bacon and wouldn't have a recipe to include so never mind........


Remember, put on that sun screen!

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Time to slather on the Noxema, you crispy critter you!

mermaid gallery said...

playing by the water can hurt big time later...but still....it would have been worth it!!! we only live once!!

Glamour Drops said...

Reading that recipe is making my mouth water. Walnuts, beetroot, cheese. All fabulous. And yes, my husband always snitches out the nuts in a salad...

Now I am confused. You talk about miles, but now you are talking in celsius. Utterly muddled me! (And I never really know what people are talking about when they say farenheit. I have to go and look it up for conversion.)

Hope you have some aloe vera growing in your garden? It does wonders when the juice is smoothed on hot, burnt skin.

Mark said...

You went and compared your skin to those beets. Suddenly, they don't look to appetizing now.
m.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'll never look at a beet the same way again. Thanks for that. :)
Ummm, I have done this same thing more times than I like to admit. And still, I lecture all three of my peeps!
Feel better.

OneCraftyFox said...

I [heart] anything with beets in it and will definitely give this a try!!

I spent all of yesterday afternoon lounging at a pool... got home late at night and was absolutely spent!! Slept in this morning... *sigh*. I have not experienced such a lovely slumber in a long time ;)

Hope your skin soothes soon. And congrats to your beautiful niece and her hubby. Wonderful news for all of you... AND YOU ARE NOT OLD. Silly, silly young girl, tsk, tsk.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend!!
Diana